Sunday, December 23, 2007

Privilege and Guilt

Ever have one of the those days when you question, "is this seriously my life?"

Today I did. Nothing truly extraordinary happened, we spent most of the day cleaning. But we were not cleaning to get ready for family coming over for Christmas, we just wanted to leave the house in the decent shape for the dogsitter and dogs to enjoy over the next few days.

This is one of those times where I have to kind of just stand back and be both thankful and disgusted at the life of extreme privilege that I live. Mr. RipeMango and I are off to Puerto Vallarta for a few days, and a young woman, who works with our dog groomer, will be sitting our dogs and house. How's that for pampered pooches?

Well, at least we managed to hold back on Christmas shopping when it came to the dogs. All 3 will be sharing this woman figurine, they already own and love to bite on the man.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Halt said...

all the time.

most often when I'm stopping at the store for groceries on the way home from a volunteer shift at the shelter - I feel so guilty buying whatever I need or want while people are homeless. or when I think that my dog lives better than many people.

but ..

Have a fun vacation!