Sunday, December 9, 2007

And more on being drunk.

In her most recent post, June Cut-Off Cash tells about her imaginary childhood alcoholism, that girl cracks me up! Her post reminded how I always felt so lucky that all of my uncles were weekend alcoholics.

Now, usually a family full of alcoholics isn't fun at all, but to my broke 5 year-old self, drunk uncles were the best!

Every Sunday, after visiting with the Lord, I was given an allowance. While it was always a day of rejoicing, it was also a day of difficult decisions. You see, my allowance was just enough to buy either a chocolate bar OR an ice cream bar- not both. So for a long time I had to make this most difficult choice, that is until I started hanging out with my drunk uncles.

For some reason, my uncles only bought one beer at a time. Maybe they thought they would have "just one more" and it wasn't worth to just get a six-pack. Maybe we didn't have six-packs back then. More likely though, they probably only had one glass bottle to trade-in toward their next beer. In Mexico, you must return glass bottles everytime you're going to purchase another drink, if you don't return bottles you have to pay a pretty steep surcharge.

Anyway, this recycling model and lax laws about selling alcohol to minors meant that the sales clerk would happily allow me (at 5, 6, and 7 years old) to buy beer throughout the day. So if I volunteered to do the beer runs and I played my cards right, I was allowed to keep the change. So to make what should've been a short story longer, I was then able to sometimes buy a chocolate bar AND an ice cream bar.

Thank-you drunk uncles. Thanks for getting me started on the road to diabetes.

No comments: