Saturday, December 8, 2007

I love wine and good friends (equally).

My former co-workers hosted the most awesome fundraiser, it involved wine, appetizers, and friends, what more could one want? Seriously, this is the most fun I've had with $20 in quite a while. Truth be told I kind of feel like a cheapskate for only donating the "ticket price" to attend the event. All the money is going to improve the lot of high school kids in East Los Angeles. The hosting group of teachers are a bunch of individuals who do amazing things with crappy pay, few resources, and a district that does everything possible to make their life a living hell.

But I digress, back to how fun the evening was: I make an honest effort to see friends frequently but sometimes I get so caught up in the day-to-day stuff that I forget how great it is to just hang out with a friend (or fifty) and just catch up.

I spent at least an hour talking to Mr. and Mrs. GrisWeimaraner, the only people who are even more insane about their dog, than I am about mine. Only this pair understand the anguish that we're going through in trying to find a petsitter for the holidays, so we don't have to board our entire pack of dogs.

But I also met new friends. At the party, I found myself talking to artist Ramon Ramirez, a fellow Cal Bear! This dude is down to earth and just so mellow and cool. I've never known a real-life working artist, (but I've known plenty of stoners who claim they're artists but have nothing to show for it though, does that count?) so now I can check off that box in my to-do list of life experiences. Hmmm although I don't think he'd appreciate being a box on my to do list.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi! I followed your comment on Sustainable Style here. Mango? I love mango, and grew up with a tree until Dad got rid of it to put in a pool.

Where did you grow up with mango? I'm from Hawaii originally, but now live in Tennessee!

Ms.RipeMango said...

Hi Lisa,

I grew up in Veracruz, Mexico. The 5 mango trees in our yard made the 120 degree, 85% humidity totally worth it though!

Hmmm now that I think about it I would have gladly given up 3 or 4 trees for a swimming pool.

All the children in my neighborhood had joker-like smiles that were perma-stains from mango juices. No really though, we ate so much mango that the juice and acids (don't show this to any scientists because I can't prove it) stained our skin. Gross...and yet wonderful.

Lisa said...

I believe you about the mango staining! We had the same problem and mom stripped us down to our undies before we ate mango in the yard... too juicy!

We also had a lychee nut tree in the backyard (it's still there.) After we got tired of eating them, we could pelt unsuspecting people with the pits while hiding in the tree limbs! Good times!